- Must be free of synthetic fabrics.
- No fabrics may be treated with any chemicals suspected of being toxic, even at low levels.
- All wool must be from sheep raised according to organic standards.
- Wool must be processed according to organic standards and be free of Polyester fibers. This requires that the wool is processed at a facility that does not process polyester.
- Any wool used must be tested for excessive arsenic or ANY lead.
- All inner, hidden fabrics and fibers, must be certified according to GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standards).
- All cotton batting used must be certified organic cotton and processed according to GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standards). Many facilities add chemicals to organic cotton batting such as boric acid, or silica.
- Any other natural fibers used must be certified organic (cotton, silk), or thoroughly tested.
- Fibers used must also be processed according to GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standards), no chemical processing allowed.
- Any rubber used must be tested free of benzene, toluene, pthalates, SBR, petroleum additives, formaldehyde, arsenic, lead at under .001 ppm.
- Any glue used must be free of formaldehyde, phenolated compounds and must be disclosed.
The only exceptions are: thread, metal springs, rubber as these have no certifications in the works anywhere in the world. These standards were developed after it was discovered that many
manufacturers were not disclosing all ingredients used. They use Greenguard or Oeko Tex as their standard and these are not pure standards in the eyes of a consumer who desires a mattress
that is free of toxic or unproven chemicals.
Secrets of the organic manufacturing industry:
- In order to be certified organic, the item must be 95% organic, the other 5% can be chemical or other fibers.
- Most companies do not test their raw materials for any toxins.
- Many manufacurers believe that Oeko Tex is an organic standard. They use this as proof that their mattresses are chemical free. This is not correct.
- Talalay does contain petroleum and artificial vanillin. This contains dimethyl sulfate and is considered toxic.